Re: free game engines, non-distributable game data and how to ship them

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> * Evgeni Golov <sargentd@die-welt.net> [2008-03-16 23:24:55 CET]:
>
> > while trying to package FreeRA[1] a free (as in speech) Command &
>  > Conquer: Red Alert (C&C2, 1996) engine and talking with Jon on IRC, I
>  > stumbled over the problem, how to find the game data (which needs to be
>  > copied from the original game cd-rom and is non-distributable).
>
>   First time I heard of it - but I had similar issues with freecnc[1] and
>  now wonder: is FreeRA a fork of that? Completely independent? Because
>  well, freecnc supports RA of course, too ...  I see a mentioning of
>  freecnc in the news of freera, so it seems to be slightly connected.
>
>   Anyway, what I was about to say: freecnc worked with the demo data that
>  is public available from ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/cc1/previews/demo/
>  so I would expect/hope that freera would work with the demo data from
>  there, too. I thought about producing some download/install script for
>  fetching those demo data from there, though as time has shown effort
>  both of my Debian package[3] and the upstream freecnc team has ceased to
>  exist. :/

CNC1 was recently released as freeware (not free software), it might
be interesting to package freecnc into contrib + free CNC1 data into
non-free. I did not study licensing for free CNC1, so I don't know if
such kind of redistribution is allowed. But might be worth looking
into.

--
Ivan Vučica

-- Croatia --