Re: doom policy: wiki or svn repository? (also: formats)

I demand that Jamie Jones may or may not have written...

[snip]
> IWAD installation:
> We need to create a standard set of IWAD installers, I have my own, you
> begun creating some, and IIRC Darren Salt has some for his packaging of
> EDGE.

Available from my repository. It needs some work, though; for a start, it
should (but doesn't) conflict with freedoom wrt doom2.wad.

> My IWAD installers also provide the following virtual packages, doom1-iwad,
> doom2-iwad, plutonia-wad, tnt-wad and corresponding packages for
> heretic/hexen. My IWAD installers currently prompt the user for the path to
> their IWAD on install.

Sounds good... do yours run tools such as glbsp on the installed WADs? And if
Vavoom is added, glvis will also need to be run on the installed WADs...

ISTM that the installer should provide a install scripts directory for
running programs such as these and a way of invoking them for Doom engine
packages to run on installation. It's probably *not* safe for any engine
package to remove files generated in this way (others may need them too), but
I think that the installer could do so.

> PWAD installation:
> So that all engines can benefit from and utilise the pwads, I would like
> install the pwads like this /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-$GAME-$NAME for
> example
> /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-doom1-2002ado
[snip]

I would prefer something more like this:

  /usr/share/games/doom/pwad/doom1/2002ado.wad
  /usr/share/games/doom/pwad/edge/icd-se.wad

BTW, ITPs: copy to this list (with bug number) only or also to d-d?

--
| Darren Salt    | d @ youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| RISC OS, Linux | s   zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland | Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

Jul qvq lbh obgure gb qrpbqr guvf?