Re: doom policy: wiki or svn repository? (also: formats)

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 18:33 +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
> > My IWAD installers also provide the following virtual packages, doom1-iwad,
> > doom2-iwad, plutonia-wad, tnt-wad and corresponding packages for
> > heretic/hexen. My IWAD installers currently prompt the user for the path to
> > their IWAD on install.
>
> Sounds good... do yours run tools such as glbsp on the installed WADs? And if
> Vavoom is added, glvis will also need to be run on the installed WADs...

No, my engine (deng) has it's own internal glbsp (based on 2.20) that
builds glnodes at runtime while loading levels. We should ignore the
GL_PVS extension of glvis, but as glvis segfaults on my system, I
haven't tested it to make sure it works as it should.

> ISTM that the installer should provide a install scripts directory for
> running programs such as these and a way of invoking them for Doom engine
> packages to run on installation. It's probably *not* safe for any engine
> package to remove files generated in this way (others may need them too), but
> I think that the installer could do so.

I think that should be fine. My installers have been scripted up with a
nice reportbug script that identifies the exact version of the IWADs.
This is helpful as often problems exist in the older IWADS. This could
probably be adjusted to ensure only the latest version of an IWAD can be
installed with the installers to prevent bug reports cause by using
older faulty IWADS. Updates for all IWADS are on any ID software ftp
mirror.

> > PWAD installation:
> > So that all engines can benefit from and utilise the pwads, I would like
> > install the pwads like this /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-$GAME-$NAME for
> > example
> > /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-doom1-2002ado
> [snip]
>
> I would prefer something more like this:
>
>   /usr/share/games/doom/pwad/doom1/2002ado.wad
>   /usr/share/games/doom/pwad/edge/icd-se.wad

I went with the $GAME-$NAME scheme as there are a variety of PWADS that
come as multiple files, that are not always named consistently. My
current pwad installers have been installing on into a variant of that
path scheme (/usr/share/games/deng/Data/jDoom/pwad-doom1-2002ado) with
no unhappy users for over a year now (although, that may mean I'm the
only user). I also install dehacked files in with the pwads for those
that come with them.

> BTW, ITPs: copy to this list (with bug number) only or also to d-d?

That reminds me, once I've sorted out issues with the source, should I
re-open the old ITP, or file a new one ?

> --
> | Darren Salt    | d @ youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | nr. Ashington, | Toon
> | RISC OS, Linux | s   zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland | Army
> |   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)
>
> Jul qvq lbh obgure gb qrpbqr guvf?
Because I can :)

Jamie Jones
Proprietor
E-Yagi Consulting
ABN: 32 138 593 410
Mob: +61 4 16 025 081
Email: eyagi.consulting@gmail.com
Web: http://www.eyagiconsulting.com

GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209
Fingerprint E1FD 9D7E 6BB4 1BD4 AEB9 3091 0027 CEFA 4B6E 7209