bits from the DPL - September to November 2014

Hi,

Here are some bits of information worth sharing with the project, covering
September to November 2014.

Outline
=======
- Travel sponsorship for Bug Squashing Parties
- GNOME Outreach Program for Women
- 'newcomer' bugs tag
- Static version of 'Debian Package of the Day' available
- Certificates for Debian Contributors
- Update of reimbursement procedures
- Delegations updates: keyring-maint, DebConf chairs
- Debian.ch now a Trusted Organization
- Assets
- DPL TO-DO List & day-to-day log

Travel sponsorship for Bug Squashing Parties

As I hope you are aware, Debian Jessie has been frozen since 2014-11-05.
We are making great progress towards the release, and will soon be under
200 release critical bugs[1]. However, we need everyone's help to squash
the remaining bugs and finalize the release! To help people attend Bug
Squashing Parties, I've decided[2] to sponsor attendees who need it with
up to 100 EUR or $125, to participate in travel and hosting costs. Two
contributors already used this opportunity to participate in the Munich
BSP.

[1] https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/rcblog.cgi
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/11/msg00050.html

GNOME Outreach Program for Women
Intel; one by a fundraising campaign organized by debian.ch and involving
a generous matching donor and many generous individual donors; the last
one paid directly by Debian).  Thanks a lot to everyone who made this
possible, including our OPW admins, Nicolas Dandrimont and Tom Marble!

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen/2014/DecemberMarch/
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/OutreachProgramForWomen

'newcomer' bugs tag
===================

A 'newcomer' bug tag[1] has been added to identify bugs suitable for new
contributors. Please tag such bugs, especially when you are willing to
mentor new contributors. Note that how-can-i-help[2] can also list
such bugs for packages you have installed locally.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=newcomer
[2] https://packages.debian.org/sid/how-can-i-help

Static version of 'Debian Package of the Day' available

A long time ago, between 2006 and 2009, there was a blog called Debian
Package of the Day. About once per week, it featured an article about one
of the gems available in the Debian archive. At some point in November
2009, after 181 articles, the blog was hacked and never brought up again.

I generated a static version of the blog and put it online[1] with the help
of DSA. Some of the articles are clearly outdated, but many of them are about
packages that are still available in Debian, and still very relevant today.

This is only a static version, of course. If you want to help revive
debaday, a good starting point would be to get in touch with the
Debian publicity team[2].

[1] http://debaday.debian.net/
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity

Certificates for Debian Contributors
====================================

It was already possible for Debian Developers to request a certificate[1].
This possibility is now extended to Debian Maintainers, and all Debian
contributors[2]. This is documented on the Member Benefits wiki page[3].

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DDCertificate
[2] https://contributors.debian.org/
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/MemberBenefits

Update of reimbursement procedures
==================================

To make it easier for the auditors team and our Trusted Organizations to
process the growing number of reimbursement requests, the maximum delay
before one can request reimbursement after an expense has been changed to
three months. See [1] for details.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement

Delegations updates: keyring-maint, DebConf chairs

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg> joined the Keyring Maintainers[1].
Tássia Camões <tassia> joined (officially) the DebConf chairs[2].
Many thanks to them!

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/12/msg00002.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/12/msg00003.html

Debian.ch now a Trusted Organization
====================================

Debian.ch has been confirmed as a Debian Trusted Organization[1]. A full
list of our Trusted Organizations is available from [2].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/11/msg00011.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Auditor/Organizations

Assets
======

Sprints and conferences
-----------------------
- Debian support for the Cambridge mini-DebConf. up to £1200
- Release team sprint in Cambridge (next to the mini-DebConf). 2000€
- Security sprint in January 2015 approved. 2500€
- sponsored a DD to attend and talk at Mini-DebConf Mumbai, in
  January 2015. $900
- Reimbursed two participants to the Munich BSP. 190€
- Reimbursed travel and organization costs for one organizer of the
  Debutsav event (Debian/Free Software event in India, in October). $100

Hardware (DSA)
--------------
- purchase of a RAM upgrade for czerny and clementi. 1200€
- some old Debian hardware, hosted at GRNET (Greece), has been donated to
  hackerspace.gr (a non-profit, free-software-friendly organization based
  in Athens)
- purchase of additional SSD disks for blade center at UBC ECE. CAD$7300

Hardware (non-DSA)
------------------
- USB PGP tokens (GnuK). $210. They will be evaluated by keyring-maint.

Other
-----
- Transfer of money to DebConf e.V. (entity responsible for organizing
  DebConf'15), to cover the first expenses. $6500
- Paid for one participant in GNOME Outreach Program for Women. $6250

DPL TO-DO List & day-to-day log

My TO-DO list is available at https://people.debian.org/~lucas/todo.txt

As usual, my day-to-day log of DPL activities is available on
 master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.*

 - Lucas