Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 07:40:50PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> This assumes that all programs that touch a particular file (for
> example /etc/resolv.conf) are under your control ---

Which, obviously, they are: you can always uninstall them. This is a red
herring -- we're trying to make our own operating system as functional
as possible; that you might have to trade-off functionality when using
non-Debian software is not particularly interesting. If using /run
would make it /impossible/ to use certain third-party software, otoh,
that would be interesting.

> that is, they are
> part of Debian.  If some particular program is part of a third-party
> shell script which is distributed by an ISP, or part of some binary
> program which (example: AT&T Managed Tunnel Services), then by moving
> /etc/resolv.conf to some other directory and leaving a symlink behind,
> you may potentially be breaking these programs.

It's hard to see how. "mv resolv.conf.new resolv.conf" and "echo 'blah'
>resolv.conf" both work if resolv.conf is a symlink. And /etc is for
the admin -- if the admin, or a program on the admin's behalf, replaces
a symlink with a real file, Debian should certainly support that.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''