Re: Please do not use linux.debian.* mail2news gateway for anything but ro-access

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2003, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> You might have noticed that some threads on Debian mailinglists have
>> completely broken threading. Putting broken MUAs aside the main reason
>> is usually that people read the list as linux.debian.* /Newsgroup/
>> and send fups as Mails to the respective @lists.debian.org address.

>> Please do not do that. This mail2news-gateway replaces any message-id
>> in Message-ID- and References-headers with
>> <somerandomstring@gated-at.bofh.it> which breaks threading, an

> Do you know who is responsible for this gateway? Maybe we can get him to
> fix it.

Afaik Marco d'Itri, but this is just me trying to remember *hearsay*.

I assume there are good reasons for the rewriting, e.g. not losing
articles with broken IDs or working around the problem with
cross-"posts" to several mailing-lists
                cu andreas