Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

Theodore Ts'o writes:
> This assumes that all programs that touch a particular file (for example
> /etc/resolv.conf) are under your control --- that is, they are part of
> Debian.

It does no such thing.

> If some particular program is part of a third-party shell script which is
> distributed by an ISP, or part of some binary program which (example:
> AT&T Managed Tunnel Services), then by moving /etc/resolv.conf to some
> other directory and leaving a symlink behind, you may potentially be
> breaking these programs.

Unless your program does something remarkable it will either overwrite the
symlink and just work or follow the symlink, overwrite the file, and just
work.  I don't see the problem.

> And, no you may not call it a bug in those programs or shell scripts,
> because you don't get to dictate how software outside of Debian (but
> which a Debian user might want to use) is written.

We are trying to arrange for Debian packages to cooperate in their
manipulations of resolv.conf.  We understand that some non-Debian packages
will keep right on blindly hammering resolv.conf.  I see no reason why they
should not continue to work as as well (or as poorly) as ever.  Perhaps we
can even come up with a way to accomodate them.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org