Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

This one time, at band camp, Thomas Hood wrote:
>Creating /run/
>  base-files     Change policy first
>  pam            Not convinced; wait and see
>  login          Perhaps; change policy first
>  sysvinit       (no reply)
>  util-linux     (no reply)

The feedback from Sam Hartman regarding pam and login indicates that /run is
the wrong place for nologin, that /var/run would suffice.  His main concern
though was that changing the behaviour would offend most sysadmins.

It would be easy enough for pam/login/sysvinit to change the location I
specified to /var/run/nologin for the system state file.  I'd like to point
out that in the case of pam/login/sysvinit that behaviour hasn't been
totally changed -- existing behaviour is preserved.

I would like to state for the record that I am not emotionally tied to the
creation of /run; so far it has only been the best way to move state files
out of /etc.  So, while I am still for moving files such as mtab, nologin
out of /etc, I don't know where they should go to.

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq