Re: splashy in default desktop environment(was: The project is dead?)

On 8/26/06, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 05:36:57AM -0400, Luis wrote:
> Splashy works flawlessly. The only problems we have are with
> initramfs.

So looking at the README, this means the user should patch init scripts
in case of initramfs?  Is this still the case?

That is what usplash does and I thought at first that we were running
into the same problems. Now we have noticed that having those patched
or not, splashy still stops the boot process at some point and the
terminal waits for user input (don't ask me why, but after Splashy
times out, going to tty2 and pressing ENTER resumes the boot process).
I was actually looking at this very problem at this time.

I see bug #350085 in relation to this, but no patch there, and no bug
for console-common (the other package on my box which runs unicode_*)

Thanks for showing me this bug. console-screen.sh definitely messes
things up for us. Come to think of it, this might be "the" problem
that has been hunting us. That bug relates to Splashy 0.1.6, which is
very old now (at least 8 months old). Splashy 0.1.8 works fine even
without patching console-screen.sh, though for some people it does
cause problems (like they see Splashy image disappear but the
progressbar is still running). I can see more than one way to solve
this problem without breaking anything else:
1. tell splashy to run in a tty that console-screen.sh doesn't go to (tty8?)
2. tell console-screen.sh not to run if splashy is running
3. 1 and 2, and send an exit to splashy from the gdm script (just in
case splashy-init fails to detect X properly)

I'm looking to see if it's possible to tell Splashy to run in a
different tty/vt. This question has been raised during our discussions
last week. I thought that it was as simple as 'chvt 8 && /sbin/splashy
boot', but i have not tested this.

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html