Re: splashy in default desktop environment(was: The project is dead?)

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:38:32PM -0400, Luis wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
> >1. Is there are resolution which works well for everybody?
>
> That's a big assumption, but, i should say that in a desktop, using
> anything less than 1024x768 looks very bad, especially under Gnome.

But we are talking about the boot splash, not the desktop here I
thought.

My point is that a resolution of 800x600 and 16 colors should be good
enough for a Debian splash screen, if that saves us from having to
configure vga= in the kernel command line.  (Other people/distributions
might prefer higher resolutions/colors fo course)

> Also keep in mind that this resolution and color selection has nothing
> to do with what X/Gnome/or whatever would actually use once the system
> finishes booting. At that point it will go to whatever the users feel
> comfortable with.

Right, so see above.

> >I don't think that is a big problem, giving how the boot process looked
> >until now.  It might be nice to address this for etch+1, though.
>
> People want bootsplashing solutions since yesterday.

Sure.  I was just talking about that "outputs some non-bootsplashed
stuff sometimes", which might be annoying, but is no show-stopper IMHO.

cheers,

Michael