Re: relationship with Ubuntu - call for feedback (not only ARB)

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:19:18 +0100
Iain Lane <laney@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:03:24AM +1100, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > > both distributions. Moreso when people have direct upload access
> > > to both and can therefore cause delta to be reduced themselves.
> > > (Message: Encourage Ubuntu Developers to get upload privileges in
> > > Debian and vice-versa)
> >
> > Even co-maintaining with active partner(s) is a great help. You
> > apply the patch, build and test. They build test and upload :) (My
> > point is you don't need to get upload yourself in debian to be
> > useful)
>
> Yes, it is great. But in my experience it's even better when you can
> do it yourself (in either distro), since you don't need to feel like
> you're bothering other people for uploads which in reality are driven
> by needs 'on the other side'.

Good point (My experience with this has been part of the games team,
where its a shared team).

> > >  + Some success in pushing people from MOTU to Debian when they
> > > arrive with new packages. I still have the feeling that getting
> > > people integrated with a team's workflows is inevitably difficult
> > > though — encourage teams to write FAQs for newbies.
> >
> > And try to keep it to one faq, and (if possible) one place to look
> > for packages to help with. (Although this is probably debian
> > housekeeping and not right for this thread).
>
> Well, my point is that every team has somewhat-unique ways of working,
> which can be confusing and/or frustrating when asking people to work
> in Debian. These FAQs would probably consist of mainly links to other
> documents, but would speak about packaging conventions, VCS locations
> (and which VCS used), how to request sponsorship and so on.

Right.

> As you say, Debian internal, but something that if collected in a
> standard location (linked to the pages off wiki.d.o/Teams, for
> example), would allow newbies to help themselves a lot.

Would be nice. I feel a [[Teams/TeamName/FAQ]] page would be a good
(starting) place for it.
thanks,
kk

--