Re: Better notifications for sync requests

Thanks Stefano and Enrico.

On Jul 26, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Enrico Zini wrote:

>The prototype is at: http://dde.debian.net/debchanges/
>There's an RSS feed for each Packages or Sources file in the archive,
>and aggregated feeds as you go up the directory tree.
>
>Each feed contains a summary of the changes (new packages, upgraded
>packages, removed packages) in an HTML table, and a description_json
>with the same information encoded in JSON for ease of parsing.
>
>I'd like to gather some feedback about it before announcing it properly:
>if you're having a look, please let me know what you think.

I took a look at several .rss files in this tree, concentrating on this one:

http://dde.debian.net/debchanges/dists/sid/main/source/Sources.rss

My first problem is that Claws 3.7.9 is apparently not able to parse this,
because it reports there are no items in the feed.  Then I tried Liferea and
got farther, except that all but one of the items was empty.  The entry dated
"Fri 05:30 AM" headlined "Changes at 2011-07-22 09:30:13" contains the table
you describe.

This shows promise.  Looking at the one table that shows up in Liferea, I
think that would be useful.  Do you know why the other entries are empty, or
why Claws might be having a problem displaying any of the feeds?

OTOH, it might even be more useful to write a little script that parsed the
feeds, looking for specific packages of interest.  It would still have to poll
the feed every so often, but the JSON data should be easy to parse.

Cheers,
-Barry