Re: Better notifications for sync requests

On 07/26/2011 11:37 AM, Enrico Zini wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:49:10AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:41:28PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
The problem comes in that afaict, this doesn't mean that the source package is
actually available in the Debian archive yet, and I (think I) cannot do a
syncrequest in Ubuntu until it is.  However, I'll never get a notification
about its *actual* availability, so the above email just puts me in poll-mode.
That's not ideal, especially because I don't really know how long I will have
to poll, or at what interval, etc.

Here at DebConf11 I'm aware that Enrico Zini (Cc:-ed) has worked on
setting up RSS-based notifications of what gets in the archive. I'm not
sure the timing of that is good enough for you, but it seems worth
having a look. Enrico, do you mind pointing us to the stuff you
developed?

The prototype is at: http://dde.debian.net/debchanges/
There's an RSS feed for each Packages or Sources file in the archive,
and aggregated feeds as you go up the directory tree.

Each feed contains a summary of the changes (new packages, upgraded
packages, removed packages) in an HTML table, and a description_json
with the same information encoded in JSON for ease of parsing.

I'd like to gather some feedback about it before announcing it properly:
if you're having a look, please let me know what you think.

It is nice. Sorry for not being with you. My main concerns are
* backports/ppa - where most work these days flows into for real end user packages, it would be nice if you could agree on planning for some integration of those increasingly accepted resources * blends - would it make sense to think about a humanised form of such a description that encourages team spirit across distributions?

Anyway ... many thanks and greetings

Steffen