Re: Introducing DoudouLinux

I've tried Doudou Linux, and I like what you've done.  It's lightweight, it's user-friendly, and it has the same large repository as Debian.  I see it as a lighter and faster alternative to the heavier Ubuntu-based Qimo Linux.

I see that Doudou Linux uses the LXDE desktop and proves that user-friendliness doesn't require the bloat of GNOME or KDE.  I think lightweight Linux distros have an UNPRECEDENTED opportunity for these reasons:
1.  Windows XP support ends in 2014, and people will have to replace their computers (and pay $$$ to do so), "upgrade" to a slower Windows OS (and pay $$ to do so), or switch to Linux.  Current heavyweight distros (Ubuntu, Ubuntu-based Mint, Fedora, etc.) are as heavy as Windows XP and likely to be heavier by 2014.  On the other hand, lightweight distros will still be substantially faster than Windows XP on the same machines.
2.  The new Unity interface for Ubuntu is highly controversial.
3.  GNOME 3 and KDE 4 are also controversial.
4.  The lower end of the Linux market is underpopulated.  The only lightweight distro in the top 10 on Distrowatch is Puppy Linux while 7 of the distros are heavyweight.  (The other two are Debian and Arch, which aren't directly used by the mainstream.)

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>
Founder and lead developer of Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org)