Re: burning smell

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:36:39PM +0200, Matthias Hentges wrote:
> Am Son, 2003-03-30 um 22.31 schrieb Mike Beattie:
> > [folks, it's considered polite to trim quotes]
>
> > > While a shock < 300VAC doesn't harm you most of the time, 4KV are
> > > guaranteed 100% deadly.
> >
> > Its the Volts that Jolt, and the Mills that Kill.
> > Meaning milliamps, a measurement of current that rhymes with Kill :P
>
> Of course i had "mains" in mind. Not some 20mA electric fence ;)

It's said to be possible to receive a lethal shock from a car battery
if you use two buckets of salt water to make contact. I haven't made
any experiments with this arrangement yet.

I've also heard of someone whose party trick was to stick a live 240V
cable on his tongue.

> > Honestly? I'm quite capable of withstanding 6-8kV from an electric fence,

Electric fences: When in the country, take care peeing in the dark.

> > so I imagine I'd be quite able to withstand much much higher. and you can.

25kV from forgetting to discharge the final anode...

> > it's just not advisable. It hurts, and does weird stuff to your body. But, it
> > *wont* kill you, unless you've got a lot of current flowing.
>
> Well that depends, <50mA can kill you if the current flows through your
> heart.

FWIW RCDs are usually set to go at 30mA. The time involved makes a
difference too. I have a mate who blew a 5A fuse by shorting mains
through his body, from one hand to the other. Some people have
survived direct lightning strikes (helps to be thoroughly soaked
first). Maybe it's because they have misunderstood this that people
install electric showers without an RCD or even a decent earth.

> > > There's nothing like repairing an AC adapter and getting the shock of
> > > your live because it has 3 (!!!) 1F capacitors in parallel.

A whole farad? At mains voltage? Those are some BIG capacitors...

> > > Man 230VAC *do* hurt ;)

330VDC hurts more :-)

> > Friend of mine works at an electronics repair store here.. Once his boss was
> > working on an appliance, and forgot to turn the power off when he went away
> > to do something else. Came back, put his hand in the wrong place, and just
> > quietly said. "Oh, shit. Mains."

Depends how well earthed you are, of course. After a while you develop
a sense for this...

> Shit happens ;-)

That too depends on the size of the jolt...

Pigeon