Re: burning smell

Am Son, 2003-03-30 um 19.19 schrieb Pigeon:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 05:29:49PM +1000, Ross Cottrell wrote:
> > Nathan E Norman wrote:

> > >Actually, I think that many people in electronics labs are just this
> > >way.  They're very friendly people otherwise :-)
>
> Yeah, it goes with the territory - an interest in hair-raising
> (literally or otherwise) technologically-based stunts.
>
> We had considerable fun at the plant-hire company I worked at with the
> 4kV probe on the portable electrical appliance insulation tester. One
> bloke saw stars after testing the minimum safe distance between the
> probe and his tongue.

BTW: Don't try this at home Kids! The "bloke" only survived the 4KV
shock because the insulation tester doesn't deliver much Amps.
*Don't* *even* *think* about touching live wires just to see the stars.
Chances are good that you will die a very ugly death.

While a shock < 300VAC doesn't harm you most of the time, 4KV are
guaranteed 100% deadly.

> We also got up to other tricks like taping two bolts end-to-end into a
> short metal tube with the charge out of a nail gun cartridge in
> between the ends of the bolts and dropping this contrivance end-on
> onto the concrete floor. Also chasing each other around the racking in
> games of what was effectively don't-touch-the-floor tag, except that
> instead of touching someone to tag them we shot them with an air pistol.
>
> > >Full disclosure; my dad taught me this trick when I told him we were
> > >going to do some experiments at school.

There's nothing like repairing an AC adapter and getting the shock of
your live because it has 3 (!!!) 1F capacitors in parallel.
Man 230VAC *do* hurt ;)

[...]
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice