Re: spam and debian-curiosa - proposal for solution

I suspect there should be a debian-spam list to discuss this, but I'm guessing it would act like a magnet :-)

I also think this issue is applicable to all debian lists, it just seems that of the lists I subscribe to, curiosa is the location this issue is being discussed on (as others pointed out, both good and bad)

Readers to this list will know that I've asked silly questions about this in the past, but as I see it there are a number of issues to be dealt with regards to spam.

i1. Postings to debian should be as open as we can make it, but this also allows spammers to post. i2. Automatic software will filter most (if not all spam), but it *may* also filter legitimate messages. i3. The amount of traffic to debian lists makes it difficult to have a moderator for each (or all) list(s). i4. spam to some is an issue to be dealt with locally at the receiver, others feel that from a resource perspective, it is better to be dealt with at the distribution side.

On to the questions:
q1. Is there a way to only accept postings from a verifiable (at time of posting) address? q2. Could we only moderate spam filtered messages by way of a pool of moderators? q3. Could we create a filtered version of each list (debian-*-filtered) and let the subscriber deal with which list to subscribe to?
--
()/)/)()	..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?		..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---	..Morse for Onno..