Re: spam and debian-curiosa

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 06:33:55PM +0100, Oyvind A. Holm wrote:
> On 2002-01-22 00:47 +0100 Jim Richards <grumpy@cyber4.org> wrote:
> > I think I've had it with debian-curiosa. I get more spam from this
> > list then everywhere else by and order of magnitude. I'm off. It's
> > been fun, but the sprukers are cluttering my eyes.
>
> On 2002-01-22 00:55 martin f krafft answered:
> > i am on the same list. i really can't remember any spam recently.
>
> There is that Korean unreadable stuff which is posted now and then. I
> don't think debian-curiosa is any worse than the other Debian lists,
> the all contain lots of spam. In fact, about the only spam I get
> nowadays comes from the Debian list. It's very irritating. I really
> think the lists only should accept messages from the members registered
> with it, if any mail from non-members is received, it is put on hold
> and the list owner has to approve it.
>
> Is there any good reasons why the Debian lists has to accept messages
> from non-members?

It gets posts from non-members, that's why.

Debian[0] won't accept any solution that involves censoring users.
That means you have to 0 false-hits.  That rules out all the automatic
tools people use.  The only way I can think of to do this is allow
subscribers and past posters through automatically, and flag the rest
to be manually moderated.  But this requires a group of volunteers to
the moderation, and nothing will happen until there is such a group.

[0] IANADD, so I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I think this
is the option of debian in general.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus