Re: spam and debian-curiosa

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:01:20PM -0500, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> Adam Olsen <rhamph@d2dc.net> writes:
>
> > It gets posts from non-members, that's why.
>
> .... or at least from members who do not always send mail from their
> subscription address.
>
> > Debian[0] won't accept any solution that involves censoring users.
> > That means you have to 0 false-hits.  That rules out all the automatic
> > tools people use.  The only way I can think of to do this is allow
> > subscribers and past posters through automatically, and flag the rest
> > to be manually moderated.  But this requires a group of volunteers to
> > the moderation, and nothing will happen until there is such a group.
> >
> > [0] IANADD, so I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I think this
> > is the option of debian in general.
>
> Opinions among developers are somewhat divided, but the general
> consensus is that anything potentially legitimate should get through;
> any arguments tend to be about where, if anywhere, to draw the line.
> If that means letting the occasional piece of spam through, so be it.

Yeah, that's basically what meant.

> Incidentally, I have seen at least as much griping about spam on this
> list as actual spam; if you're annoyed with spam, either unsubscribe,
> set up a personal filter (such as spamassassin), or complain to the
> listmasters, rather than complaining to members who can't do anything
> about it.

And if they don't like the threads about spam I'm sure they can
configure the filters to block those too :)

Personally, I've thought about volunteering to do moderation, but
there's three problems:

1) I don't know enough about mailing list software to set it up
2) We'd need more than one person, because of downtime (eg sleep),
   languages I don't speak, and sheer number of posts
3) IANADD.  I may not need to be a "full" developer, but I'd atleast
   need a signed GPG key

If the first two were taken care of then the third probably wouldn't
be too hard.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus