Re: Mailing list headers

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 05:01:51PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> > This is suggested in debian bug #171801 and mutt bug #1406.
> >
> > However, the list-post header is not a replacement for mail-followup-to.
>
> No, but it is a replacement for mutt's lists configuration directive, which
> was what I posted in reply to.  Nice trim-and-ignore of the other paragraph,
> by the way!

I thought the other paragraph had been well discussed already. Anyway:

> > Please cease this discussion if you're going to keep ignoring my suggestion
> > that you add your request not to be cc'd to your signature as well as your
> > headers.  The MFT header is not generally displayed by clients and is not
> > standard, so few email clients support it.

I don't think adding it to a signature works. It's not the sort of thing
that I personally would notice when doing a reply. It's more effective
for people to just follow the debian list policy.

I notice that you are using slrn and a mail to news gateway. Does your
gateway convert M-F-T to news's Followup-To: ? It should.

It's true that M-F-T is not standard yet, but if we agree that it
conveys useful information, shouldn't we encourage its use and support?

Hamish