Re: Draft GR for permitting private discussion

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Since it seems that there is a lot of momentum to push this GR forward,
>> I would like to make a simple request to slow it down a bit.  Please
>> initiate the discussion on -project before initiating the GR itself so
>> this can get more visibility and you all can get a better gauge of a
>> larger set of the project's opinion on the matter.
>
> The whole point of the GR discussion period is to have exactly these sorts
> of discussions.  I would prefer to use our existing processes rather than
> using new processes to "pre-discuss" things for which there's already a
> standard discussion process.
>
> The GR should definitely be mentioned on -project to ensure that people
> know that the discussion is happening.

So, if I understand correctly, a GR is actually initiated via mail to
debian-vote.  CC'ing to -project is often done simply to increase
visibility:
http://www.debian.org/vote/howto_proposal

So, really every other aspect of that process is malleable.  In this
case, I it would be incredibly humble and poignant to initiate a
-project discussion prior to the official process since that sets the
clock in motion (i.e. someone could get antsy and call for seconds
before there's really been appropriate time for, yes, pre-discussion
to figure out if this is something the project actually wants).

Best wishes,
Mike