Re: Using FAI (was: Building cloud images using Debian infrastructure)

On 08/11/2018 01:53 AM, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Similarly, I think we're all agreed on using FAI, though I haven't
> checked to see what's in Bastian's implementation.

It looks like the only person that expressed himself against FAI was
myself, and like this since the decision (which was taken when I wasn't
present in the sprint, 2 years ago). However, I always respected the
decision and always decided to just shut my mouth. I never start that
topic either. That being said, if you ask me, you already know the
answer, and you will inevitably trigger frustration, so just don't ask.

The other thing is that, at Debconf, I said I wouldn't do FAI. That's
not because I don't want to, it's just because I don't have the time
(and energy) to do it. However, and that I didn't say it: I *do* intend
to contribute and maintain the OpenStack image when the solution is in
place, and make sure we have no regression compared to the current images.

One thing I intend to contribute, is a list of things that FAI *must*
comply with when building OpenStack images. This list, I discovered it
when maintaining the image, and some stuff were kind of surprising. This
can be done simply by reading openstack-debian-images with the
background of bugs that were closed when writing it.

Hopefully, I'll get the document done before the sprint (but currently,
many OpenStack stuff are dragging me... like OpenStack Rocky released
this week, and more $work stuff...).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)