Re: Building cloud images using Debian infrastructure

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 11:14:38PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> >                                          Was this the main reason to
> > build something using docker and CoreOS?
>
> No, the main reason it isolation.  The builds take some global
> resources, loop devices, and may not return them in case of some errors.

Google builds their official GCE Debian images inside transient GCE
instances, solely for isolation purposes (they use the Debian cloud team
build tools, probably still bootstrap-vz until we get FAI sufficiently
working). To be clear, nothing about that needs to be in GCE, except for
a few implementation details of their particular build harness. Regular
VMs work fine.

I support the goal of isolation, but transient VMs can serve the same
purpose in a workflow that's more easily portable between casulana,
GitLab CI (I presume?), a personal dev laptop, and anywhere else one
might want to reproduce the flow. Which seems like a win for maximizing
how easy it is for people to hack on this - and also for companies like
Google to converge further with us on tooling.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org