Re: Building cloud images using Debian infrastructure

Moin

Sorry, but it took a bit longer than I anticipated for an update.

I finally setup a VM on casulana, and it builds the stuff in our
repository:

https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/fai-cloud-images/pipelines/15397

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 03:49:48PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
>   Each build runs in a scratch Docker environment via a special
>   configured GitLab Runner.  The builds need access to loop devices,
>   which is by default not allowed.  (Yes, I'm aware that neither Docker,
>   nor GitLab Runner, have suitable versions in Debian Stretch.)

Right now this VM runs, but it got setup by hand.  This obviously needs
to change.  However, during testing, I found some problems with it:

The main problem is that all the builds need to run with pretty high
privileges and access shared ressources (mostly the loop devices to
mount a filesystem with).  In case of errors or if someone just cancels
the builds, these shared ressources are not cleaned up and will break
the builder sooner or later.

Also this VM will needs at least 32GB of RAM to run a sufficient number
of parallel builds (casulana got 88 cpu cores, we gotta use them) and it
can't shrink between builds.

So I intend to change that setup a bit.  It will look more like the
general purpose CI runner for privileged builds I setup for Salsa in the
last weeks.  It will use docker-machine to setup and operate scratch VM.
There exists an experimental QEMU driver, which will need some changes
to use CoreOS for the VM.  But it uses the user network to communicate
with the VM, so does not need any privileges.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Time is fluid ... like a river with currents, eddies, backwash.
		-- Spock, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0