Re: vmdebootstrap plans

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 02:41:19AM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> > > Please not that vmdebootstrap is written in python, not in go.
> [...]
> > I don't see any real issue there, my comment was more about what the
> > industry now does for tools particularly CLI.
>
> Which "the industry" is that exactly? At least in (wildly
> successful) free software I'm involved with, our CLI tools are
> written entirely in Python as well. The Python community has great
> libraries for CLI design, and distros are quite adept at handling
> dependencies and making the underlying language in which those tools
> are written entirely transparent to users.

I fully agree. For system administration, Python and (to a lesser
extent) shell scripting are my go to languages for any task because
they are both installed on most any GNU/Linux distribution by
default. Ruby, Go, etc. are rarely installed by default, even in a
bloated desktop environment. It goes against good security practices
to install that which is not required.

From this point of view, Perl is another good option. Python is just
my personal preference.

Much smaller to grab the occasional Python library package rather than
an entire language interpreter. That's why in my view, Python will
always be king for my administration work.

-Adam