Re: vmdebootstrap plans

On 2016-11-15 07:31:07 +1100 (+1100), Chris Fordham wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2016 1:51 am, "Emmanuel Kasper" <emmanuel@libera.cc> wrote:
> > > These days golang is the go, excuse the pun and the fact it
> > > compiles to a single executable means the language and extra
> > > packages such as jinja2 are not required.
> >
> > Please not that vmdebootstrap is written in python, not in go.
[...]
> I don't see any real issue there, my comment was more about what the
> industry now does for tools particularly CLI.

Which "the industry" is that exactly? At least in (wildly
successful) free software I'm involved with, our CLI tools are
written entirely in Python as well. The Python community has great
libraries for CLI design, and distros are quite adept at handling
dependencies and making the underlying language in which those tools
are written entirely transparent to users.

I'm having trouble identifying the part of the vmdebootstrap design
to which you're objecting, but surely it's not just that you think
everything should be rewritten in some new programming language? If
we as a society decided to rewrite all software for each new
programming language which happens along, we'd never get anything
else done (we'd probably never even get that done, in fact).
--
Jeremy Stanley