Re: cloudfront backed deb.debian.org

On 2016-07-29 13:01:14, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Sam Hartman wrote:
>
> > I thought the discussion was about two things:
> >
> > * getting something DSA supported based off cloudfront
> >
> > * Getting that to be part of deb.debian.org.
> >
> > I agree that deb.debian.org is about a reasonable default for all users.
> >
> > I happen to also think that the cdn-specific alias will be a public
> > interface tat least in the case of cloudfront that some users will want
> > to use.
>
> The cdn-specific alias is just to put in the SRV record and maybe for
> http redirects for legacy clients.  The cdn-*.deb.debian.org aliases
> will not be tuned to/for specific user classes.
>
> For amazon cloud users, sticking with cloudfront.debian.net as their
> configured sources.list entry may very well be perfectly reasonable.

I think there is some kind of confusion, so just to clarify it, we can have
quite a few cnames on the cloudfront, for now it looks like we're going (at
least that's what I'm hoping for) for:

*deb.debian.org* (main alias for Debian CDN)
*cdn-aws.deb.debian.org* (mainly for SRV record as weasel pointed above)
*cloudfront.debian.org* (as this is official Debian infrastructure)
*cloudfront.debian.net* (for legacy reasons as it's used in images on AWS atm)

Cloudfront will/should be configured to reply with the same response on all of
those aliases/cnames from the whole world, there are not going to be any geo
restrictions and as long as we have sensible cache-control header setup it
should work.

With the above we can keep using cloudfront.d.net or switch to cloudfront.d.org
so AWS based instances will have short round trip as they are having now.

If by luck it'll happened that somebody will have deb.debian.org in sources
list and will be close to the cloudfront edge point then it's possible that
he/she will hit cdn-aws.deb.debian.org via deb.d.o if this is going to be 'the
closest mirror'.
--

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3