Re: cloudfront backed deb.debian.org

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 12:41:03AM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> On 28/07/2016 3:27 PM, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 15:07:29 +0100, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
> > > I was actually thinking about writing some cloudformation templates to create
> > > this cloudfront to keep it in git so we have some kind of tracebility and I
> > > think it would make DSA happier if they wanted to take it on board.
> > >
> > > Configuration would be just json file and deployment can be scripted to make it
> > > painless as possible.
> > >
> > > But I'll leave it to DSA if they want to do it or not if they do I'm ok with
> > > doing this work.
> >
> > thanks to Marcin we have some cloudformation templates to start with.
> > In order to get a cloudfront version of deb.debian.org, could someone
> > please provide me/DSA with AWS credentials which would let us set this
> > up?  I guess we need access to manage a cloudfront distribution, the
> > cloudformation bits, and possibly a dedicated s3 bucket for some static
> > content?
> >
> > I'm also assuming it'd be ok for us to send some traffic from
> > deb.debian.org to that cloudfront instance?
> >
> > Do people (James?) have a preference between cdn-aws.deb.debian.org or
> > cdn-cloudfront.deb.debian.org as name for the service?  (I'd like to be
> > consistent with the existing cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org)
>
> I don't mind on any name, but I think if we have any CDN supporting
> this, then having their name somewhere in the hostname/URL is the least
> we can do to recognise that contribution/sponsorship.

We can recognize the contribution of fastly and amazon by augmenting the
information published at https://deb.debian.org, perhaps.

The hostname that users enter into their sources configuration should be CDN
provider-agnostic and that's what deb.debian.org provides.

I'm very pleased to see us working towards having two different CDN providers
underlying the deb.debian.org service.

Thanks, everyone, for working on this.

--
Luca Filipozzi