Re: cloudfront backed deb.debian.org

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Luca> The hostname that users enter into their sources configuration
>     Luca> should be CDN provider-agnostic and that's what deb.debian.org
>     Luca> provides.
>
> I don't think that's true for an EC2 image running within EC2.
> In that case I think the difference between cloudfront and something
> else matters a lot, and I'm not sure I'd trust Debian to always know
> what netblocks Amazon had and assign it correctly.

This isn't about serving amazon users only.  This is about providing a
service to all Debian users, regardless of where they are.

If people or specific use-cases want to use a mirror or service provided
or hosted at or close to their ISP, then they can keep doing that.

The deb.debian.org service is for providing a reasonable default.

--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System