Re: cloudfront backed deb.debian.org

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 08:56:05 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Peter> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     >> >>>>> "Luca" == Luca Filipozzi <lfilipoz@debian.org> writes:
>     >>
>     Luca> The hostname that users enter into their sources configuration
>     Luca> should be CDN provider-agnostic and that's what deb.debian.org
>     Luca> provides.
>     >>
>     >> I don't think that's true for an EC2 image running within EC2.
>     >> In that case I think the difference between cloudfront and
>     >> something else matters a lot, and I'm not sure I'd trust Debian
>     >> to always know what netblocks Amazon had and assign it correctly.
>
>     Peter> This isn't about serving amazon users only.  This is about
>     Peter> providing a service to all Debian users, regardless of where
>     Peter> they are.
>
> I thought the discussion was about two things:
>
> * getting something DSA supported based off cloudfront
>
> * Getting that to be part of deb.debian.org.
>
> I agree that deb.debian.org is about a reasonable default for all users.
>
> I happen to also think that the cdn-specific alias will be a public
> interface tat least in the case of cloudfront that some users will want
> to use.

That's fine.  There's nothing stopping people using
cdn-aws.deb.debian.org (or however else we end up calling this; Marcin
suggested we also add a cloudfront.debian.org alias) directly in
sources.list, for systems that run on AWS and thus know they want to get
at that instance of the service.

Cheers,
Julien