Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

I think its important to get the sysvinit scripts in the upstream source so it can be included in the package instead of placing those files in the image not belonging to a package.
If they get rejected, simply create another project/source so a cloud-init-sysv package can be created.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
On 07/11/2013 05:08 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 04:16:41PM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
>> On 07/11/2013 06:04 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
>>> For the upload, I am still confused on the reason why we are adding new init
>>> scripts instead of using the Upstream ones.  Do you konw why ?
>>
>> Because upstream sysvinit scripts are for CentOS:
>>
>> # If there exist sysconfig/default variable override files use it...
>> [ -f /etc/sysconfig/cloud-init ] && . /etc/sysconfig/cloud-init
>> [ -f /etc/default/cloud-init ] && . /etc/default/cloud-init
>
> Isn't it possible to write init scripts that can run on both CentOS and Debian ?
> In that case, I think that it would be good to send a patch upstream,
> rather than maintaining a separate re-implementation of the init
> scripts.

Well, as much as I know, CentOS 6 uses upstart, so I guess they wont
care much about it (maybe only for CentOS 5, but that starts to be old).
In this days and age, only Debian uses sysvrc, so I don't see any value
in upstreaming init scripts which nobody will care about except us. This
will considerably complicate the init scripts as well (check what OS we
are running on, check if lsb-base functions are there, etc.).

Thomas