Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

A few comments here while I'm sitting in an airport:

1) Once Google's planned arbitrary kernel support is ready, d-i ought to work fine in Google Compute Engine, since we don't require partitionless images.

2) While cloud-init doesn't currently work on Google Compute Engine, the Compute Engine environment should be familiar enough to its current targets that only modest porting would be needed if someone wants to do the work. (Probably we at Google can't get to it in the very near term, but that doesn't have to prevent anyone else inclined.)

3) James's packaging question is something we've been struggling with as well for Google's CLI tools and API client libraries. We've proposed a DebConf13 BoF about this which, like our BoF about official Debian public cloud images, is not at all Google-specific beyond the examples we bring to it. Please join the discussions with your perspectives. I think the packaging answer for cloud vendor tools may well end up being the new PPA-like thing ftpmaster is working on. But one of you might have an even better idea.

See you all next month!

- Jimmy

On Jul 7, 2013 2:47 AM, "Charles Plessy" <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
Le Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 01:37:19PM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
> On 07/06/2013 08:32 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > On other Cloud platforms, using Debian-Installer might be even
> > simpler.  Are there specific points that make people avoid using
> > Debian-Installer ?
>
> I see no reason to use d-i if we can use debootstrap directly. d-i is
> IMO less flexible, and forces you to use preseed if you want to run
> automatically. I also don't like the fact that you have to actually boot
> the virtual machine to have the installation happen, when this is really
> not needed.

There are pros and cons, but I see the use of presseeding as an advantage,
since it puts all the information in a single declarative text file.

Not being able to run d-i as a simple user of a running system is definitely
raising the bar for tinkering and testing, but on the other hand, on-the-fly
virtual machines is exctly what infrastructure services is giving us.

I have the impression that, given the scarcity of the manpower in Debian, it
could be a mutual benefit that the energy spent into making dozens of image
builders would be invested in acheiving this goal with debian-installer, so
that installation of fresh system on local hardware and creation of images for
virtual machines would be done with a unified tool.

This said, as long as d-i is not able to install Debian on a partitionless
disk, it is not a viable option.  Would there be someone intersted in tackling
this issue ?  (this requires C programming, which I do not have the time to
learn).

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan