Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

On 07/05/2013 02:58 PM, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm responsible for the image catalog in the HP Cloud
> (www.hpcloud.com) which runs OpenStack. I'm in the process of pushing
> a Debian 7.1 image which should hit public as soon as HP legal is
> happy with it (which means it can only be a matter of weeks). I
> noticed that you guys build EC2 images but I couldn't find any
> OpenStack images. I'm wondering if you are willing to work together to
> build OpenStack compliant images? This would ensure that always
> up-to-date images are available and also supported by the community.
> At the moment, I'm building the images for our cloud but I don't have
> the bandwidth to update those images on a regular basis with the
> latest security updates and bug fixes.
>
> Best
> ...Juerg

Hi Juerg,

I'm the maintainer of OpenStack in Debian.

I have made a package to build OpenStack images. It contains a simple
shell script and some dependencies, plus a man page. I have uploaded it
a long time ago, but it is currently waiting for the FTP masters
approval (eg: it's waiting in the NEW queue). However, you may find a
version available from here:

http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/grizzly/main/o/openstack-debian-images/

It doesn't use libvirt, like Jeff did, because I thought it was more
flexible and faster the way I did (eg: using debootstrap directly
without using the Debian installer).

Currently, to run it, you need to drop in your current directory the
following debs:
http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/grizzly-backports/main/c/cloud-init/cloud-init_0.7.2-1~bpo70+1_all.deb

http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/grizzly-backports/main/c/cloud-initramfs-tools/cloud-initramfs-growroot_0.18.debian3~bpo70+1_all.deb

http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/grizzly-backports/main/c/cloud-utils/cloud-utils_0.26-2~bpo70+1_all.deb

I have uploaded these to debian-backports, though it is also waiting for
the FTP masters approval to get in.

The final goal of this is to be able to add the build of Debian Wheezy
images together with the Debian CD. However, this can only happen after
these packages are approved in Debian (we insist that things in Debian
must be built only out of things in Debian, which is normal, I believe).

Feel free to use the above. I am adding the FTP Masters to the loop,
maybe they may find a bit of time to review the packages (it seems they
have been busy over the last months, as the NEW queue is growing).

I also invite anyone to contribute to the script inside the
openstack-debian-images.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)