Re: CD release announcement

Hello,

this is my first attempt at a note to mail to all CD mirror admins.
Doubtlessly it is inaccurate in some places - please correct any
mistakes. Is there any important issue which I missed, and which the
mirror maintainers should know about?

Where will the official 3.0r0 jigdo files be placed? I think it would
be wise *not* to use cdimage/jigdo-area for that, because
 - ATM jigdo-mirror will attempt to re-generate any non-existent
   images every time it is run. IOW, if mirror admins mirror
   jigdo-area/ and then let jigdo-mirror loose on it, the script will
   work several minutes on each pre-release image, only to realize
   that it is unable to re-create it.
 - When 3.0r0 is out and Phil starts making 3.0r1 pre-releases, all
   mirrors will pick those up, attempt to create them, maybe overflow
   their disks etc... not desirable!

Another related question: At the moment, jigdo-mirror does not allow
you to filter which images it should create and which not. People
using it will only be able to mirror all 88 images, there's no way to
prevent it from creating e.g. binary-3 to binary-7, or the non-us CDs.
Should I modify it to allow such filtering?

Release of CD images for the Debian Linux 3.0r0 release ("woody")
[Reply-To will be set up accordingly.]

Within the next weeks, Debian 3.0 "woody" will be released and new CD
images will be made available. Here is some information about the
release of the new CD images.

Size requirements
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Please correct numbers - they may be completely wrong!]

The images of the current stable distribution ("potato") need 13 GB of
disc space for 22 CD images. In contrast to this, the full set of
"woody" CDs needs about 53 GB for 88 CD images! [The 88 is 8*10 + 8
source.]

This increase is due to the larger number of CDs (8, used to be 3) per
architecture, and the larger number of architectures (10, used to be
6).

Because we expect that most mirror admins do not want to dedicate so
much space to CD images, by default not all CD images will be made
available, only a subset which will take about 21 GB for 34 CD images.
(We omit CDs 3-8 for the 9 non-Intel architectures.)

Required setup changes on your mirror
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You do not need to change anything about your current mirror setup if
you want to distribute the default set of 34 CD images - the old
"debcdmirror" scheme as well as rsync or FTP/HTTP mirroring will
continue to work.
[Is this correct? Will PIK-style .list files be generated? Will the
rsync/http/ftp paths stay the same?]

However, consider changing the mirror setup as described below if one
of the following applies:

 - You want to update your mirror quickly after the release. In our
   experience, the master site will be under extremely heavy load
   immediately after the release, possibly even to the point of not
   being reachable.
 - You already have a local "regular" Debian FTP mirror. In this case,
   the mirroring can be made much more efficient now.
 - You want to offer the full set of 88 CD images.

New way of mirroring: jigdo-mirror
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jigdo is a new way of generating Debian CD images. A local (=same
machine) Debian FTP mirror is required for this. Additionally, if the
mirror does not run Linux on Intel, you'll have to compile jigdo
yourself - you need a recent C++ compiler (e.g. GCC 2.95) for this.

The jigdo-mirror script to automate mirroring of Debian's CD images is
new and needs more testing - if you can, please try it out now on the
3.0 pre-release images and report any success/failure to us!

jigdo-mirror takes packages from the mirror as well as special files
with ".jigdo" and ".template" extensions, and assembles the CD images
from all this information. This makes it similar to how debcdmirror
works, with the important difference that jigdo does not rely on rsync
to produce the final image.

A jigdo-based mirror requires
 - setting up a normal Debian FTP mirror <http://www.debian.org/mirror/>
 - setting up HTTP mirroring of the .jigdo/.template files
 - setting up a cronjob which runs jigdo-mirror at regular intervals
 - configuring jigdo-mirror. This should be easy, it hardly needs more
   information than the paths to the .jigdo/.template files and your
   Debian FTP mirror.

Links
~~~~~
Debian on CD:
  <http://www.debian.org/CD/>
Retrieving Debian CDs with jigdo:
  <http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/>

rsync path for stable CD images:
  <rsync://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/>
  (Try not to mirror directly from the master site if possible.)
HTTP access is disabled for the images themselves, but the MD5SUM
files and .list files can be fetched here:
  <http://cdimage.debian.org/cd-images/>

jigdo homepage:
  <http://atterer.net/jigdo/>
How to set up jigdo-mirror:
  <http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-mirror.html>
Precompiled jigdo binary for i386 Linux, including documentation:
  <http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-bin-0.6.6.tar.bz2>
jigdo source code:
  <http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-0.6.6.tar.bz2>

.jigdo/.template files for pre-release tests of Debian 3.0:
  <http://cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/>
The .jigdo/.template files for 3.0 will be made available here:
  [WILL THEY?]
  <http://cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0rev0/>

Any other links/information to add?
Cheers,