Re: Autoconf build targets

Robert Millan wrote:
On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:09:30AM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

They will have to use the package. This is basically not going to be optional for a while. Sorry, but Debianized and reliable are my priorities for the freebsd source package right now. Flexibility features are going to have to wait.
Do you mean it's a temporarily solution?

Not exactly. I mean that the situation where you have to a bit of extra work to compile a kernel with a different config that GENERIC using the Debian package source. I plan to change that, and make something similar to make-kpkg at some point.

I don't expect users to be able to use unpatched FreeBSD sources. That seems unlikely to become possible.

Why don't you just check for the particular resource you need in every
particular case (preferably using autoconf)?

Because one of the "resources" we're looking for is Debian. Specific example: libtool on regular FreeBSD uses a completely different scheme for soname versions. It uses libfoo.so.1, never libfoo.so.1.0.0, symlink libfoo.so.1 -> libfoo.so.1.0.0 and soname libfoo.so.1, as Linux and most other systems do. On Debian, this needs to be done as Linux does it, because doing the FreeBSD style breaks far too many package build scripts. It breaks virtually every package in fact. Definitely every package using dh_movefiles.

So what I want libtool to look at is: is this system FreeBSD or Debian GNU/FreeBSD, and do something different depending on the answer.
I don't know much about this, but isn't there an autoconf check
for binary formats and shared library naming?

IMHO making it check for Debian could bring trouble if, say, someday
Debian changes one of these parameters.

Not the way libtool works. It uses OS name to determine how it will make shared libraries. That is precisely what it does. Either I change libtool in a way that breaks regular FreeBSD, or I break Debian packages. That's how it is right now.

Also, config.guess normally returns i386-unknown-freebsd4.5. This is a problem for dpkg, because dpkg uses that internally in a file called archtable. archtable doesn't handle wildcards, and it would be a huge help to not have that version number there. (Do the configure string the way Linux does.)

	---Nathan