Autoconf build targets

In porting stuff, I've found several cases where modifying the source to
build on Debian potentially breaks it on plain NetBSD. After talking to
Nathan about this, we came up with a couple of ideas:

1) Modify the kernel build so uname -v includes "Debian" - this is a
pretty trivial change. It does present problems if people build kernels on
their own - one option would be to make sure that the kernel build system
ensures that this is set.

2) config.guess currently produces i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.5. Under Linux,
this is i386-pc-linux-gnu. Adding i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.5-gnu (or
possibly even just i386-unknown-netbsd-gnu), determined by the different
uname output, would allow for Debian-specific alterations to be made which
could be included upstream without breaking anything else.

Does anyone have any comments?

(Oh, and kudos to the NetBSD guys for producing a kernel which seems happy
to build with gcc 3.04 :) )

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org