Re: Autoconf build targets

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:43:01PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > I don't know much about this, but isn't there an autoconf check
> > for binary formats and shared library naming?
> >
> > IMHO making it check for Debian could bring trouble if, say, someday
> > Debian changes one of these parameters.
>
> Not the way libtool works. It uses OS name to determine how it will make
> shared libraries. That is precisely what it does. Either I change libtool
> in a way that breaks regular FreeBSD, or I break Debian packages. That's
> how it is right now.

Frankly, I vote for "break libtool in a Debian-specific way". This is what
Debian patches are for, honestly. Breaking Debian packages is not really
a workable solution, for what I would hope should be obvious reasons.

Neither way is terribly elegant, unfortunately.

> Also, config.guess normally returns i386-unknown-freebsd4.5. This is a
> problem for dpkg, because dpkg uses that internally in a file called
> archtable. archtable doesn't handle wildcards, and it would be a huge
> help to not have that version number there. (Do the configure string the
> way Linux does.)

Agreed, it would be easier. I'm pondering whether this should also just be
maintained in a Debian-specific patch against autotools-dev (at least, I
think that's where config.{sub,guess} are supposed to come from, right?)