Re: Autoconf build targets

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 06:51:34PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
>
> >1) Modify the kernel build so uname -v includes "Debian" - this is a
> >pretty trivial change. It does present problems if people build kernels on
> >their own - one option would be to make sure that the kernel build system
> >ensures that this is set.
> >

> I've already done this in freebsd-kernel package. It's patched
> automatically, so it should be included when I have the source package
> setup to so that users can build their own kernels.

This means that people building packages will have to be running a
patched version of the kernel?

It looks weird to me, also some packages checking for kernel version
might have trouble.

Why don't you just check for the particular resource you need in every
particular case (preferably using autoconf)?

cheers,

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992