Re: GNU GNU GNU

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:15:19PM +0100, Arnout Engelen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:56:23PM +0100, Wessel Dankers wrote:
> > On 2002-01-17 09:13:07-0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > > My vote is for "Debian NetBSD".
> >
> > The project itself is called "Debian". It has its own standards regarding
> > software freedom: the DFSG. The only reason things like "GNU", "Linux" and
> > "HURD" are mentioned at all is because they are considered major components,
>
> I look at it this way: it makes sense to call the project at least
> 'Debian NetBSD' for obvious reasons. The discussion is about wether or not
> we want to add a 'GNU/'. Adding this would state that it's a major component.
> However, /not/ adding it would not neccesarily mean that we don't think it's
> a major component. Removing the 'GNU/' apparantly makes a lot of people here
> feel better, and I don't see why it would be a problem.

I have problems with not giving credits to GNU. The GNU project
certainly deserves being named.

> Arnout Engelen <arnouten@sci.kun.nl>
>
> Gelezen in de Debian Packaging Manual:

Maybe you should change this to "Read in the Debian Packaging manual"
for all people who don't speak Dutch. :)

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org