Re: GNU GNU GNU

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Michael Goetze wrote:

> Yeah, like, for instance, the mailing program you're using obviously has
> nothing to do with GNU...

(Off-topic: if anyone is interested in testing my non-GNU, queueing,
non-port-listening, non-daemon, SMTP, sendmail replacement, let me know.
http://www.reedmedia.net/software/mailout/)

> The reason why we should call this a GNU system is that it is the GNU project
> is the reason why free operating systems are popular at all nowadays. Are you

I disagree. It is *one* of the reasons.

> one of those people who thinks "Linux" popped up because Linus
> Torvalds wrote a kernel and then looked around for a userland to go
> with it and by pure coincidence he found everything he needed? *clue
> bat* That wasn't a coincident at all, it was a result of the GNU
> project, which was started back when Linus Torvalds was running around
> in diapers. And GNU/Linux is what has made free operating systems
> popular.

I know "diapers" is an exaggeration. But it is important to note that a
lot of freely-distributable, open source was available before GNU existed.

> And even though we in this case have chosen not to use the GNU Kernel
> (which, BTW, is called "HURD") nor the GNU C Library, we still have
> tons of GNU software involved. autoconf, bash, binutils, bison, chill,
> cpio, cpp, file, fileutils, findutils, gcc, info, less, m4, make, sed,
> shellutils, tar, etc. Not exactly small stuff.

Yes, but as another poster suggested -- it would be nice for the Debian
administrator to be able to choose to use BSD equivalents.

And be sure to note that many Debian-packaged software and resources are
not GNU-related. And most importantly, many of the key "Debian NetBSD"
utilities are not GPL'd.

> The Debian Project has chosen to associate itself with the ideals of the GNU
> project and develop GNU-based and/or GNU-like operating systems, and that's

It seems like it has been hard to decide to even call it GNU/Linux. (If I
recall correctly, it was sometimes changed back and forth.)

> what we are doing here. We might as well say so.

Please don't say "we". I personally feel like I am sometimes forced to use
GPL'd projects. (This is getting off-topic for this list, but I'd be glad
to expand on this.)

I am here because I have enjoyed administrating Debian systems. Debian has
useful tools and an easy-to-use and robust packaging system that save a
lot of time. (Yes, I agree that many of the tools are GPL'd.) I am also
here because I enjoy using BSD operating systems due to their organized
layout, great stability and performance, and generous licensing.

My vote is for "Debian NetBSD".

  Jeremy C. Reed