Re: GNU GNU GNU

On 2002-01-17 09:13:07-0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> (Off-topic: if anyone is interested in testing my non-GNU, queueing,
> non-port-listening, non-daemon, SMTP, sendmail replacement, let me know.
> http://www.reedmedia.net/software/mailout/)

How does it differ from ssmtp?

> My vote is for "Debian NetBSD".

The project itself is called "Debian". It has its own standards regarding
software freedom: the DFSG. The only reason things like "GNU", "Linux" and
"HURD" are mentioned at all is because they are considered major components,
and in the case of Linux and HURD, mutually exclusive ones. Until now, the
addition of "GNU/" was pretty useless because there weren't any serious,
packaged alternatives to the GNU components of Debian.

I think it's funny that now that we are looking at merging BSD components
into Debian, this might change. Especially to stress that we are not
using large parts of the BSD source tree (fileutils etc.) it may be useful
and clarifying to explicitly name "GNU" in the name, so that people get a
better first impression of what this Debian variant is about.

Summarizing: the "GNU/" addition to "GNU/$KERNEL" is finally starting to
make sense.

My two eurocents ;)

--
Wessel Dankers <wsl@fruit.eu.org>