Re: GNU GNU GNU

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Wessel Dankers wrote:

> On 2002-01-17 09:13:07-0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > (Off-topic: if anyone is interested in testing my non-GNU, queueing,
> > non-port-listening, non-daemon, SMTP, sendmail replacement, let me know.
> > http://www.reedmedia.net/software/mailout/)
>
> How does it differ from ssmtp?

The source is not GPL'd. I will not require changes to be given back to me
(but of course, I will appreciate them). The source can be modified and
used in proprietary or commercial software.

I haven't looked at ssmtp for awhile, but I don't think it can expand
aliases or manage a queue. mailout will be able to do both.

(Most systems -- maybe 95-percent or more -- don't need to
accept incoming mail and don't need to be able to intelligently route
mail; so I want to provide a simple outgoing SMTP tool that can be used
for most workstations and in commercial firewalls and other proprietary
devices.)

> > My vote is for "Debian NetBSD".
>
> The project itself is called "Debian". It has its own standards regarding
> software freedom: the DFSG. The only reason things like "GNU", "Linux" and
> "HURD" are mentioned at all is because they are considered major components,

That is the keyword: "major". I agree with standard Debian GNU/Linux that
GNU is a "major component".

Debian BSD/Artistic/public-domain/beerware/postcard/whatever/GNU/NetBSD

Or maybe Debian NetBSD.

  Jeremy C. Reed