Re: Old-timer installer, task-sysvinit?

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 02:02:57PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Cyril Brulebois (2014-11-23 13:13:05)
> > Well, I'm really unsure what you're calling inaccurate in the third
> > point.
>
> It is that "preseeding" is the mechanism used - but I may indeed be
> wrong:
>
> I assumed the term "preseeding" meant "debconf preseeding", but realize
> now that indeed both <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed>
> and e.g. <https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs01.html.en>
> uses the term without direct ties to debconf.  Both those documents do,
> however, describe [not-only-debconf] preseeding as "a way to set answers
> to questions asked during the installation process".
>
> I consider preseeding to be feeding answers to questions before asked.
> Executing shell scripts is something else, IMO.  You likely disagree.

Implementation details, but:

Debian-installer uses (c)debconf throughout, so "debconf preseeding" and
"installer preseeding" are really one and the same thing.

Debian-installer extends that by providing a few debconf templates that
are never shown to the user, but that *are* read by the installer and
acted upon. Some of those are the "early_command" and "late_command"
templates, which the installers assumes will contain shell snippets that
it must execute.

So yes, it's running shell scripts, but yes, it's also feeding answers
to questions (albeit questions that will *not* be asked).

Regards,

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26