Re: Old-timer installer, task-sysvinit?

Quoting Wouter Verhelst (2014-11-23 14:15:27)
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 02:02:57PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Quoting Cyril Brulebois (2014-11-23 13:13:05)
>>> Well, I'm really unsure what you're calling inaccurate in the third
>>> point.
>>
>> It is that "preseeding" is the mechanism used - but I may indeed be
>> wrong:
>>
>> I assumed the term "preseeding" meant "debconf preseeding", but
>> realize now that indeed both
>> <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed> and e.g.
>> <https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs01.html.en> uses the
>> term without direct ties to debconf.  Both those documents do,
>> however, describe [not-only-debconf] preseeding as "a way to set
>> answers to questions asked during the installation process".
>>
>> I consider preseeding to be feeding answers to questions before
>> asked.  Executing shell scripts is something else, IMO.  You likely
>> disagree.
>
> Implementation details, but:
>
> Debian-installer uses (c)debconf throughout, so "debconf preseeding"
> and "installer preseeding" are really one and the same thing.

What you and I call "debconf preseeding" is then not the same thing.

What I am talking about (now lacking a name for) is what you can feed to
debconf-set-selections.

> Debian-installer extends that by providing a few debconf templates
> that are never shown to the user, but that *are* read by the installer
> and acted upon. Some of those are the "early_command" and
> "late_command" templates, which the installers assumes will contain
> shell snippets that it must execute.
>
> So yes, it's running shell scripts, but yes, it's also feeding answers
> to questions (albeit questions that will *not* be asked).

You can only feed declarative info to debconf-set-selections - e.g. can
(even machine automated) resolve the package to bug about it if any data
fed like that causes problems on the system operated on.

You cannot do that for any user-written shell code.

Please cc me on replies.

 - Jonas