Re: Choice of Desktop environment at install time using netinst CD.

On Mar 3, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 01:46:06PM -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:
On Mar 3, 2013, at 7:03 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

Gah. Looking further, at the moment I don't see how (if at all) the
powerpc boot stuff passes through any of the kernel boot options to
specify a default task. Rick, what happens if you try with kde CD#1
right now? Does it actually do KDE, or does it still default to Gnome?

I'm glad you're thinking of things here, it's been a while since we've
had many people interested in ppc stuff like this! :-)

I'll try it.

Just to be clear -- What you want me to do is download and burn the
RC1 KDE CD#1 install CD.

Boot it.

Take the default "install" option at the "boot:" prompt.

Look at the /proc/cmdline from a text console during the install
process.

Wait til it gets to running tasksel.

Leave "desktop task" checked.

Watch and see what desktop it installs.

Report back here.

	Right?

That's exactly correct, yes! :-)

Thanks for helping with this, it's great!

    # cat /proc/cmdline # in the F2 console during the installation
    ro ramdisk_size=10240 desktop=kde --

It installed kde as expected.

I'm not sure what the "--" is all about. It was not present when I installed with the "netinst" CD and typed
    expert desktop=xfce
at the "boot:" prompt. As noted, that installed xfce4. So the -- may not be strictly necessary.

Take a look at the stuff in /install/yaboot.conf on the install CDs. I think that's where all this is originating from.

Hope it helps!

Rick