Re: Choice of Desktop environment at install time using netinst CD.

On Mar 3, 2013, at 7:03 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 02:58:54PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 02:52:50PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 12:56:10AM -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:

  The following desktop environments are available:
  gnome, kde, xfce and lxde.  The default is gnome.
  If you prefer a different one, append
      "desktop=<your choice>"
  E.g. to do an expert install with the xfce desktop
  environment, type
      "expert desktop=xfce"
  at the "boot:" prompt.

Would it help if I submit a wishlist bug report? If so, which package?

The message there comes from debian-cd, so I'm simply adding it now.

Ahh, hmmm. It should probably be modified appropriately at runtime, in
fact, so we say the right thing on each variant of the CD. I'll tweak
it to do that now.

Gah. Looking further, at the moment I don't see how (if at all) the
powerpc boot stuff passes through any of the kernel boot options to
specify a default task. Rick, what happens if you try with kde CD#1
right now? Does it actually do KDE, or does it still default to Gnome?

I'm glad you're thinking of things here, it's been a while since we've
had many people interested in ppc stuff like this! :-)

I'll try it.

Just to be clear -- What you want me to do is download and burn the RC1 KDE CD#1 install CD.

Boot it.

Take the default "install" option at the "boot:" prompt.

Look at the /proc/cmdline from a text console during the install process.

Wait til it gets to running tasksel.

Leave "desktop task" checked.

Watch and see what desktop it installs.

Report back here.