Re: Choice of Desktop environment at install time using netinst CD.

On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 12:56:10AM -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:

>>To be honest, it may be too late for Wheezy, but I guess it depends on
>>how big the changes would be.
>
>I'm quite impressed with the effort you-all have put in on isolinux
>and grub for x86.
>
>The yaboot bootloader for PowerPC doesn't have so much flexibility,
>so if it is to be done, it has to be done brute force.  Fortunately,
>brute force works in this case.

OK, cool!

>All that's necessary to allow people to set the preferred desktop at
>install time is to add the following couple of sentences to /install/boot.msg
>:
>
>    The following desktop environments are available:
>    gnome, kde, xfce and lxde.  The default is gnome.
>    If you prefer a different one, append
>        "desktop=<your choice>"
>    E.g. to do an expert install with the xfce desktop
>    environment, type
>        "expert desktop=xfce"
>    at the "boot:" prompt.
>
>Would it help if I submit a wishlist bug report?  If so, which package?

The message there comes from debian-cd, so I'm simply adding it now.

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.