Re: About console-setup in d-i

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:53:24PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> I have no idea what the real differences between kbd and console-setup are
> and what the future of both packages will be next to console-setup.

Console-setup detects which one is installed so it doesn't matter.

Kbd supports large console fonts for high resolution framebuffer
modes.  They can be usefull if the usual console fonts look ugly on
the LCD display.

> I tried creating the udeb for both and was successful for kbd (see
> attached patch).

I forgot about kbd_mode...  I don't know if the user needs to type
non-ASCII symbols during the installation process, but if yes, then
kbd_mode is also needed.

The next problem is who has to upload kbd...  One of the reasons the
console packages in Debian are not maintained well is that their
configuration part is way too complex.  Hopefuly if console-setup is
used then this configuration part becomes obsolete and can be removed.
This will make the console packages very simple and there will be more
than enough Debian developers who will be able to maintain the console
packages.

> I could probably also do it for console-tools, but that would result in a
> much bigger package as for some reason loadkeys in console-tools depends
> on three libraries from libconsole. The one in kbd only depends on libc.

The fact that the binaries in console-tools depend on libraries from
libconsole is considered to be a technical superiority of
console-tools over kbd.  I don't know exactly why. :-)

Anton Zinoviev