Re: versions of debian-installer

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 04:34:28PM -0500, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> >On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:42:06AM -0500, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >>I renamed this iso to debian-testing-amd64-netinst-5-13-06.iso
> >>
> >>Why not use such a naming system so people can see which build the iso
> >>was based on?
> >

> >The full URL contains the build date.
> >
> Not really -
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

Mmm, I see you point.

In http://amd64.debian.net/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/beta2/images/netboot/mini.iso
is 'beta2' the version number. Such versions is what the d-i project delivers.

Versions named 'daily' are in fact 'YYYY-MM-DD', example given
 http://amd64.debian.net/debian-installer/2006-04-08/netboot/mini.iso

I agree it is some what odd.

Reason for it is that the webpages are not updated for the daily build,
they are update on a release.

> Is there a better place to get pure amd64?
>

> >>How valuable are install bug reports if there is no reference to
> >>which install was run?
> >

> >The installed system and the ramdisk during install contains
> >the file /etc/lsb-release  which has build date.
> >
> That says 20060408 -- but that is a lie - the files in the base directory
> of the iso have the more recent date I'm referring to.
>
> These are the daily built images.

Ooo??   (read further)

> I'm still dead in the water - I even tried installing unbuntu and tried to
> move the install to testing - ubuntu worked, (had a 2.6.12 kernel) but
> trying to move to a pure Debian system turned into a total disaster.
>
> If I could get an install to go far enough that I can install a more recent
> kernel I think it would work.
>
> It might be that I need to go with a different kernel image - the generic
> instead of the K8?
>
> >>I renamed this iso to debian-testing-amd64-netinst-5-13-06.iso
> >

> >I doubt there is may 15th 2006 build of amd64.
> >Please prove me wrong by booting with that ISO-image,
> >switch to the second virtual console (by ALT-F2)
> >and type `cat /etc/lsb-release` to get the actual build date.
> >You can do that with any harm to the installed system
> >(no need to re-install)
>
> Something is very wrong with that date  - did they back up to an older
> version with older bugs?

Sorry to say, but you are wrong.
There is _no_ may 15th build of amd64.

See http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Today for more information.

> Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl@xtronics.com
>

> Why are so many spending time watching dark movies about
> hopelessness, the macabre, and perversion; why are they reading
> books about unfaithfulness and self destruction?  Why is nothing
> uplifting, also considered 'cool' or entertaining? -kps

Consider Free software,
it is uplifting, cool and even entertaining.

Cheers
Geert Stappers