Re: D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 01:11:49AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> This is the very last chance to switch the default initramfs initrd
> generator used during installation for 2.6 based installs:
> - i386, amd64, powerpc: these use mkinitramfs-tools by default, yaird
>   as alternative (if available, i.e. not for netinst CD)
> - alpha: uses initramfs-tools only

I wonder where these defaults came from?  The last I heard was that yaird
would be favored in the installer, but initramfs-tools would be listed as
the first alternative in the kernel package dependencies to provide a better
upgrade path from sarge.

I've only tested initramfs-tools on alpha anyway and have no idea
whether/how well yaird works, so I'm not going to push to change this for
beta2, I'm just wondering why it's done this way.